1. Obligations

Warnings: Lack of flow and terrible poses.

________

Riverview, Present Day


The hour-long drive into Riverview seemed to drag on for an eternity. The space between the two women was punctuated with small talk of the upcoming semester, the drive of the new car and Nan’s slow spiral into senile dementia. The smooth crooning of Sade was swapped for static on the FM Radio as the car left the asphalt and took on the gravel road of Manor side.


Kat felt the leather stick to her bare thighs. Even with the aircon on full blast the humidity had found a way to make the drive as uncomfortable as it possibly could. She blew away a stray lock of hair, thinking of the small stuffy house - with only one aircon in the main bedroom - that awaited them at 27 Rose Road.

“Who’s going to be there?” Finally, the question she’d asked every time they visited Nan had escaped her lips.
“Just us.” Mia Covington cast her daughter a wry a smile.
Just us meant everyone. Kat sank into her seat hoping this lunch would go quickly. This wasn’t what she had in mind for the last Sunday of her vacation but she had familial obligations. 


 As the car pulled into the driveway, old Breezer came bounding down the pathway to welcome them. After a bit of petting, soothing clucks and commands to stop jumping, Kat and Mia had finally found their way into the house.

The men, as usual, were parked in front of the TV watching the game; the women were bustling in the cramped kitchen trying to help with finishing touches. 


After the hugging, kissing and all the other niceties that came with a family gathering, Kat joined her cousins in the awkward silences and stilted conversation that culminated around the dining table.

“Babes, look what I found.” Nan set an old photo album down on the table. Kat flipped through the leaves. 


There were pictures of her first birthday, trips to the beach and visits to the old beach house.


"There’s more in the attic. I want to give everyone their things before I die.”
Kat forced a reassuring smile that that wasn’t going to happen any time soon. The old lady had been going on about kicking the bucket ever since Gramps passed on six years ago.
She excused herself and headed toward the attic.


The old attic was clouded in a blanket of dust and the smell of moth balls hung thick in the air. Kat fumbled for the light switch almost tripping over the junk strewn across the floor.
“I wonder if the old bird has anything valuable in here.” Bridget kicked over a few boxes and what looked like a dead rat as she dived straight for an old chest.

“Gee Bridge, you could at least pretend to be interested in the worthless stuff.” Kat rolled her eyes and manoeuvred her way through old furniture, toys and other objects passed down through the generations, ignoring her cousin’s snide comment over an old teddy bear. 


She eventually found the album among a pile of old books that the small bookcase downstairs couldn’t house. Some were first editions of the classics: Great Expectations, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Heart of Darkness. There were also a few works from Shakespeare and some other titles she didn’t recognise. She thumbed through the pages of what looked like an old diary before tossing it aside. 


“Girls! Lunch is ready” Nan’s voice came from the bottom of the stairs. Kat gathered the pile of books and albums she wanted before making her way down to another two hours – at least - of torture. 


Leaving couldn’t have come any sooner. As everyone said their goodbyes – which was really last minute gossip – Kat packed the box of albums and books away in the boot. The food was the only saving grace of this family lunch. She was glad to be free of her Aunt Carmine’s bragging over their holiday in... Wherever it was; and Doctor Dean’s brash comments about anything and everything. 


“I’m dying for a cigarette.” Mia pulled out of the driveway, just as eager to get away from her prying family.  

________

The synopsis has been published. It can be found here.

Also a big thank you to everyone who has taken an interest :) Hopefully I stick this one out to the end.


11 comments:

  1. How do you think this has bad pics? I thought they were great. Im curious what she has to do with the vamp who was awoken in the prologue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~ So what I gather is the Vamp has been laid to rest till an unspecified date to await wakening,is Kat somehow part of this awakening?
    ~ I love it so far!More when you can!(",)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very interesting, almost like two different stories, I am excited to see how they tie in together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also curious as to how her story is related to the vampire in the prologue. I don't think the picture or poses were bad at all though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It flowed fine I thought and the poses weren't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a little disappointed with the poses I chose. For some reason they didn't seem to fit (not for all the pics, just some) but thanks to all for the positive feedback :)

    As for the relation between Kat and Mars (a.k.a. the tomb vampire), you will all just have to wait and see... dun dun dun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought that the pictures were really good too!

    That luncheon was like the first day of my family's family reunions. All of us cousins sitting awkwardly together at first. Then by the end of the reunion laughing and talking and looking forward to the next one! LOL

    Although, Kat didn't seem eager for another one!

    I like getting to know new characters! Off to the second chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol maybe my own family needs to spend a few days together... Though I think I'd die because it would mean no Sims. (X_x)

      Can you blame Kat? She probably had better plans - like sleeping in (who knows??)

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad to see you're writing again. I missed it. And I'm still in love with it. And I loved it even more when you mentioned two of my fav books, To Kill a Mockingbird and Heart of Darkness. I wrote a paper on the latter in my first year at uni. Awesome literature, but then again I had a fantastic English lecturer, that woman made anything and everything interesting.

    Back to the story, I loved their typical Sunday family lunch, none or most of them didn't want to be there, but because of familiar obligations they have to attend. I can relate.

    I wonder what treasure Kat will find in the pile of books and albums she's brought home and if it has anything to do with the hottie vampire awakened in the prologue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heart of Darkness is also one of my favourites! :D woohoo! I took English Lit as an elective and it was part of the coursework. At first I thought it would be boring but I really fell in love with. I think they ruined it slightly when they made the movie... it just didn't feel as intense as the book. But then, I'm like that: Prefer books to the movie version.

      Family always comes first, I'm afraid... Even when better plans are on the table.

      Delete
  9. unknown=edenzfury...i despise google,no matter how many times i tell it who i am it don't want to know=/

    Sounds like one of my family get togethers=).

    ReplyDelete