4. Bitter

Warning: Mild adult content and Mars' bad hair day 

________

Bridgeport, Same Day

 Kat had fallen asleep with the old diary still in her hand. That night she dreamt of the mysterious Mars Mortensen – what he might look like; putting herself in Arianne’s shoes and feeling the same fascination she had felt upon meeting him. 
On the other side of the city Nick lay in bed, listening to Amy’s light snoring. The launch had gone off well but they hadn’t had much time alone. It was exactly two hundred years since they had met; he was sure she had forgotten in all the commotion to get Hemisphere up and running in time. He wondered, for a moment, what his life would be like if he had convinced his brother not to undertake an internship with Dr. Livingston. He wouldn’t have met Amy; she wouldn’t be a vampire; she would have had a full life, grown old and had children like she had always dreamed of. If ever she blamed him for this kind of life, she never let on. He closed his eyes and recalled the day he arrived in Riverview.

Riverview, 1805
Nick's Recollection
Ileana gave a soft rap on the door before entering. She set the tray of tea down on the coffee table and began arranging the cups and saucers.

 Her breasts just peaked over the top of her blouse; a faint golden glow fell over her bosom as the fire cast its shadows around the room. Her chest heaved in rhythm with her quickened breathing as she felt his eyes rove hungrily over her. He judged them to be tender, juicy and untouched by any other man. Closing his eyes, he let out a low growl as he imagined sinking his teeth into her, her soft skin punctured in just the right way so as not to spill the blood.
 He felt her body stiffen; her hands trembled as she tried so desperately not to drop the Master’s finest china. He reclined, a small smirk tugging at the corner of his lips.
 “Thank you. You may go.” Nikolai’s voice travelled from the other end of the room, relieving the young woman of further humiliation.
Mars, dejected, watched her leave their quarters in silence and haste: anger and embarrassment burning furiously on her cheeks. 
“She doesn’t seem too taken with me.” Mars laughed, disguising his mild disappointment. Women generally fell under his spell quite quickly, but Ileana seemed aware of his little game. He guessed that the only reason she held back on giving him a piece of her mind was because in this house he was the guest and she was the servant. 

 “Perhaps she doesn’t fancy redheads.” Nikolai remarked dryly as he inspected one of the many paintings that hung on the wall.
“You make me laugh.” Mars stood up; a hollow laugh escaped from between his lips. 
“What is the matter? I sense that you are not happy here.” His fingers worked deep into the tissues, hitting the pressure spots right on.

 Nikolai shrugged his brother off. “I have expressed my concerns over this idea of yours. How many more doctors will you compel?”
“It is not as if I compelled you to accompany me.”
“Someone has to clean up after you.” 
 “I am only taking a leaf out of your book, Nikolai.” He paused, more for dramatic effect than to seek to convince his brother that this was a better idea than hunting. “Except, where you feed on the rats, I feed on the dying.” He frowned, taking in the disapproval etched on his brother’s face. “They all die eventually. You should be pleased that I have not fed on a healthy human in months.”  
Nikolai cast his brother a cold look before retreating to his bedroom. He was exhausted from it all. He never wanted this for himself and he’d never wish it on anyone – not even his greatest enemy. Mars was to blame. For everything.

His eyes shot open and fell on Amy, now snuggled up against him. He allowed himself to be selfish; to be thankful for having not convinced Mars otherwise. 

11 comments:

  1. I really like the way you fleet through everyone's consciousness and alternate between the past and present, you do it so well. I think I'm falling for Nikolai, he seems to have his head screwed on straight, compared to his equally hot brother with all his hidden agendas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Val :) It's going to be an on-going technique (if I can call it that) so I only hope I can continue to do it as well I have managed so far.

      Nick is certainly the more level-headed of the two - I suppose it's because this wasn't a life he wanted for himself. It wasn't written in, and I don't know where I'll fit it in later on again, but he wasn't given the choice.

      Delete
  2. ~ I agree with Val on this 100%,both brothers are hot but Nikolai,seems to be the one going behind his brother cleaning things up & smoothing over what his brother may have done!
    ~ Niki blames his brother for his lot,but would not change it because he gained Amy out of it all!
    ~ I am starting to wonder why his brother Mars voluntarily entombed himself!?
    ~ Loving it all,More when you have time!(",)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their relationship reminds me of the Salvatore brothers (The Vampire Diaries) except there's no Petrova doppelgänger that they both keep falling for.

      Love does that to a person - I believe having Amy by his side makes it a little better.

      Hehe keep wondering ;) we'll get to that part eventually.

      More to come very soon (",)

      Delete
  3. Very interesting! I finally just got blogger to work for me and I read all 3 chapters that I have missed! Your updates are so fast, and this story is really amazing! I can't wait to see more, as I am very curious about what is to come!

    I will be on the look out for the next chapter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot to come - a few surprises too (Well, I like to think that they will be shocking)

      Thank you for taking the time to read MR (",)

      Delete
  4. I like the flow getting to see bits and pieces from every one. Meeting the Livingstons seemed to be a major turning point for each of the brothers not to mention Amy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a turning point alright but I don't think they will enjoy the turn their lives are going to take... Especially Dr. Livingston. Pity he couldn't resist the compulsion... :)

      Delete
  5. I always try to read too much into things and take everything apart and analyse it.
    I rather like Mars' self assured, who-cares-anyway attitude. Perfect antagonist.
    It seems to me that Nikolai feels obligated to Amy because of what she became. Will see as the story unfolds. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say that Nick feels obliged to be with her. I'd say her becoming a vampire is a bonus for him because now they can spend an eternity together. He does feel guilty though - but he's had two hundred years to come to terms with it all. The story of how Amy became a vampire will come :)

      Delete
  6. ohhhh tension between the brothers.
    I do like Nick,he seems a little resentful at the moment but i don't know what he's been thought either.

    I adore Mars,he's such a shit=).

    ReplyDelete